Best Ways to Avoid Risk of Fire Damage This Winter
Did you know that homes in and across the U.S., including East Dallas, are at a higher risk of winter fire damage than in any other season? A report by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) shows that:
- Half of the home fires occur in January, February, and December
- One in every seven home fires involve heating equipment
Some of the top causes for home fires in winters include the following:
- Over half of the home decoration fires in December are started by candles.
- 1 in every seven home fires involve heating equipment
Other reasons include leaving the fireplace on throughout the night without proper safety measures, dry Christmas trees, portable generators, etc.
In case if you have a home fire, contact 911 Restoration of East Dallas. Our experienced and IICRC certified restoration experts will be at your service within 45 minutes. We strive to provide you with the best possible service to your complete satisfaction. Our goal is to restore your home to its livable state.
However, here we’d like to share some of the best ways to avoid being in this situation in the first place. Take a look at the best ways to avoid the risk of fire damage this winter:
Make Sure to Follow Safe Heating Practices
- Studies show that two out of five fires start because of space heaters. Therefore, if you have one installed at home, ensure that it has an automatic shut-off button. This will help because it will shut off immediately before the fire breaks out when the space heater accidentally tips over.
- In addition to this, make sure that space heaters in your home are not places near any flammable material such as clothing, bedding, furniture, chemicals, cleaning items, etc.
- Moreover, if you happen to own a wood stove, make sure the doors are kept closed to prevent the risk of fire. Only open the doors when you want to stoke the fire or add more wood. And if you have a fireplace, always use a screen and regularly clean and inspect the chimney. This is much needed to avoid fireplace smoke and fire.
Fireplace smoke that doesn’t flow properly through the chimney or flue indicates a serious issue putting your safety at risk. Here it is important to understand that chimney deposits expand when heated. They can expand to the extent that they block the chimney. It may then seek oxygen from the nearest available source. This source is usually the fireplace or stove. Hence, it can come out of the bottom of the chimney.
Furthermore, in some cases where the integrity of the chimney’s top is compromised, it can blow off due to the pressure inside the chimney. Debris and sparks from the chimney can put the roofing on fire. Therefore, it is advisable to keep the chimney clean and get it routinely checked. Remember that buildup of creosote can result in a deadly fire.
Always Follow Safe Cooking Practices
Kitchens can often get a little crowded, especially during the holiday season, because of too many people and too many things on the countertops needed for food preparation. Hence, here are some tips to help you ensure safe cooking practices:
- First things first, never leave your kitchen appliances unattended while you are using them. Be attentive, and keep a close eye on your appliances to don’t catch fire if and when overheated. Also, turn off the stove and equipment when you’re leaving the house.
- Try to have minimal people in the kitchen. This is because when the kitchen is overcrowded, it is easy to neglect and overlook hazards.
Other fire prevention ways are to:
- Keep holiday decoration candles at least twelve inches away from anything that can ignite and burn.
- As a dry Christmas tree can burn fast, make sure to water it
- When connecting the lights, make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions to see how many strands of lights can be connected
- Always keep your Christmas tree at least three feet away from heat sources such as space heaters, heat vents, candles and radiators, and fireplaces.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once every month
- Plug one heating appliance into an electrical outlet at a time. Don’t overload sockets.
- Check your smoke detectors. Make sure that they are checked and function properly. With functioning smoke detectors, you can prevent fire breakouts and avoid them from growing and causing serious damage. Therefore, if there is a small mishap or a fire breakout, you can be alerted to the fire on time. This will help you to stop the fire from becoming a severe problem. If it is a large fire, your smoke detector can alert you on time to evacuate the property and call for immediate help. Also, make sure that they are installed across your home in your kitchen and every bedroom.
For more information or professional assistance for home restoration after fire damage, contact us. We are here to help.